Sunday, December 23, 2007

Gregorian Chants

I was thrilled to receive a response today from Mr.Gregor's son, Thomas.
Great detective work and thank you so much for getting in touch and passing along the NY Times piece and your own blog. I was so touched by it. My father was a wonderful man, and although it has been ten years since his death I still miss him. This all brought him a little closer. I did not recall the NYT piece, and I am very happy to have received a copy! I notice that as of tomorrow it will be exactly fifty years since it first appeared. Your Knickerbocker Village blog preserves history and identity, and there is little that can be more important than that. Thanks again,

I wasn't aware of the significance of that 50 year anniversary until Howie informed me of it last night. I was in the city today to photograph 38 West 9th Street. I also found another article in the Times that Mr. Gregor wrote in 1964. I had forgotten that he went on to become the principal of PS 2 on Henry Street. I had thought he retired from PS 177 and that Mr. Press replaced him. I guess he wrote this letter from the Fire Island house mentioned in the previous post about "Does Poppy Live Here."

No comments: