Monday, March 17, 2008

What's New On The Menu At KV

Well prices are still pretty reasonable at the K an K. In a search for what's new on the Knickerbocker Village news' menu I wandered into the Gotham Center's New York History site which has a neighborhood discussion board. Some interesting reading, including an attempted pick-up by msg817:
Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/7/07 9:59:AM
I will be moving into Knickerbocker Village sometime this year. I went down to the area this weekend, and was not sure what the area is like. I leave for work at 6:00 a.m. and I come home from school around 9:00 p.m., is the neighborhood safe? I'm a 55 year old women and I've lived in Manhattan all my life. I currently live in East Harlem so I would say I'm street smart, but the area didn't look like too many stores were open at night or early morning.
msg817 bowler,kv • posted 5/7/07 10:53:AM
If you're latina or Asian, no one will bother you, if you're white, be careful
Bowler Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/7/07 11:01:AM
I am white, however, in East Harlem people have asked me if I was Puerto Rican, so maybe that will help, I can't pass as Asian though. Thanks.
msg817 bowler • posted 5/8/07 5:44:PM
i'm a 56 yr old white man who lives on the upper east side; since you're in east harlem now, let's get togethe for coffee; if you're single?
Bowler Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/9/07 7:05:AM
thank you for the invite, my life is pretty hectic right now, I work full time and go to court reporting school full time and on the weekends I'm doing chores and studying. I'll think about it.
msg817 bowler • posted 5/9/07 8:02:AM
okay,thanks
Miguel frm 25th St Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/20/07 9:13:AM
Hi Bowler,
The Mailman who delivers the mail to Knickerbocker Village is one of the Carriers in the local Post Office (Knickerbocker Station)in which I work. Frankie Cea is the one guy who can tell you anything you want to know or don't want to know about Knickerbocker Village. Frankie is old school and loves New York.
Bowler Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/21/07 7:20:AM
Thanks for the info Miquel. Does the mailman communicate on this site? Or can you ask him for me, my only concern is that I go to school at night and get out around 8:30 p.m.. I go to court reporting school at Park Place near City Hall. Will I feel uncomfortable coming home at night? I know it stays light in the summer, I'm more concerned in the winter months. And do they use keys or key cards to get through the gates? Thanks.
Miguel Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/22/07 1:32:PM
Frank and I think you will be pretty safe. The area to the West of KV used to be kind'a rough during the 60's &70 but now it has become a whole lot better. The M 22 Bus which you can pick up at City Hall drops you off right on the corner of Madison St and Catherine one short block from KV. There is a 24 hour grocery store across the street from the bus stop. The neighboorhood is pretty mixed Asians,Hispanics Italians Blacks and Jews. Knickerbocker has Security guards inside the gate and they admit access to the the complex. It is a nice place to live improving all the time. I forgot to mention that there is a 24 hour Pathmark Supermarket 2 blocks from KV. Glad I could Help.
Bowler Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/24/07 1:09:PM
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm so looking forward to moving there. It looks lovely and I can stay in New York and retire instead of going to Florida. Thanks Again for all your help here.
Phyllis Knickerbocker Village • posted 2/1/07 8:33:PM
Anyone out there live in Knickerbocker Village on Monroe Street in NYC? I lived there from 1956 through 1971.
lee Boyles knickerbocker village nyc • posted 2/19/07 11:30:AM
hi my name is lee Boyles i was raised in knickerbocker village my mother and father's name is albert and helen Boyles mostly residing at 16 monroe street, after a long absence i moved back like three years ago, as my mom is still alive, dad's deceased and im kind of taking care of her! your last name wouldnt be Defalco, just curious, i was in school st joseph with a phyllis, anyway u can reach me at leebcom@myway.com
Joseph Knickerbocker Village • posted 3/2/07 11:07:PM
Hello, Phyllis. I lived in Knickerbocker Village from 1957 until 1961. I have relatives who lived there from the 50s until the 70s. My cousin (b.1954) attended St. Joseph's School. (My mother's family lived in that general neighborhood from at least the 40s until at least the 90s.) I'd be glad to correspond with you; my e-mail address is josnaz@aol.com.
terri knickerbocker village • posted 3/16/07 11:18:AM
hello
I LIVED IN KNICKERBOCKER TOO. UNTILL 1975.
MY MOM WAS ROSE HAUT MY BROTHER BILLY AND SISTER LINDA. I MISS THOSE GOOD DAYS THERE I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU TOO! MY EMAIL
IS TAFDISCO@AOL.COM
Steve KV • posted 3/22/07 11:30:AM
I surivived KV from 1943-1955. I will be publishing a novel about the experiences I has to indure from the local youth. KV had some very mean streets if your were a member of the wrong religious group. Stay tuned- you will find the novel on Amazon in a few months. I will keep you updated.
jackie knickerbocker village • posted 3/22/07 6:34:PM
im considering moving into knickerbocker vilage. can you tell me if this is a wise choice and can you please tell me does this complex have a garage? this is very important in my decision since we have two vehicles. thanks
Phyllis Knickerbocker Village • posted 3/22/07 10:15:PM
Please be advised Knickerbocker Village does not have a garage. You will need to park on the street, and with two vehicles, good luck! You might want to reconsider.
Phyllis KV • posted 3/22/07 10:18:PM
Steve: I'm sorry that your KV experience was not a good one. I had a wonderful childhood. I look forward to reading your book.
msg817 angie saggese • posted 3/24/07 10:36:PM
phyllis, did you know angie?
Phyllis Angie • posted 3/26/07 5:45:PM
The name does not ring a bell. More info.
msg817 phyllis;k.v. • posted 3/26/07 7:28:PM
I have the wrong Phyllis; you weren't married to Arnold?
terri childhood memories • posted 3/27/07 12:17:PM
DEAR STEVE
I TO AM SORRY YOU HAD A ROUGH CHILDHOOD IN KV. GROWING UP THERE FOR ME WAS INCREDIBLE
IF YOU NEED SOME POSITIVE FEED BACKON KV LET ME KNOW GLAD TO SHARE THOSE TIMES OF HAPPY MEMORIES. TERRI
TAFDISCO@AOL.COM
Phyllis Angie • posted 3/27/07 3:59:PM
No, I was never married to someone named Arnold.
bower Knickerbocker Village • posted 4/13/07 2:57:PM
I'm from the lower east side all my life and will be moving into KV, I heard the elevators there have gated doors and you see the elevator shaft was you go up in the elevator. Is that true? How are the rooms?
msg817 elevators and rooms • posted 4/13/07 3:45:PM
doors not gates; you only have gates in old movies ; rooms are nice sized
Bowler Knickerbocker Village • posted 5/7/07 9:59:AM
I will be moving into Knickerbocker Village sometime this year. I went down to the area this weekend, and was not sure what the area is like. I leave for work at 6:00 a.m. and I come home from school around 9:00 p.m., is the neighborhood safe? I'm a 55 year old women and I've lived in Manhattan all my life. I currently live in East Harlem so I would say I'm street smart, but the area didn't look like too many stores were open at night or early morning.
pat tomasulo knickerbocker village • posted 3/7/08 1:43:PM
Phylis,my name is Patrick Tomasulo. We went to grammar school together. If i am correct your famliy owned Ruggerio's Bakery.
pat tomasulo grammar school friends • posted 3/7/08 1:47:PM
Hello Lee,we went to grammar school together,how are you doing,I remember your mom well a very nice lady and your father was a really big guy,your cousin Rosemarie went to school with my wife Lena. say hi to Dennis for me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I GREW UP IN KV FROM 1944 TO 1966 I LEAVE IN 14 MONROE ST I BUILDING WENT TO PS 177 JHS 65 SEWARD PARK I LIVED ON THE 4 TH FLOOR APT I E 4 WOULD LIKE TO GO TO THE REUION WHERE AND WHEN J PERRY

Lynn said...

I lived in KV from 1950 to 1960. My dad and his partner owned the Kosher deli. My Uncle Harry Levy and his brother owned the hardware store and My and Bessie and Uncle Dave Brokowsky owned the fruit stand.My two best friends were Cynthia Miller and Rachel Rosenthal. Rachel is now a famous author and illustrator of children's books. She writes under the name of Rachel Isadora. I would love to attend a reunion. Just tell me where and when.

Lynn Schaefer nee Steinberg