Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ron's Remarkable River Remembrances


Even though Ron's parents were pretty progressive I doubt a movie choice for a 5 year old would have been "The Bravados" which premiered on Friday, June 26, 1958 at the Paramount. A portion of the review is above
Here's my memory of this event (age 5):
It was around this time of year when it stayed light out until past 8pm.
My dad had just gotten home from work...the news was on TV.
Mom and Dad were watching the film coverage.
My mom told Joel and I what had happened, and that the sunken boat was very close to Knickerbocker. That night, we had plans as a family to go out and do something together (a movie maybe?) Joel and I wanted to see the boat in the river and then to the family thing. I remember my dad saying to us: "We can't do both...you'll have to decide between yourselves, one or the other."...Although Joel and I frequently had differing opinions on a wide range of topics, in this instance, it was a no-brainer...We HAD to see this up close! My visual memory of that night was standing along the river, and seeing the tip of the ship sticking up out of the water.
It was a captivatingly eerie sight. I don't remember the fire or explosion that came earlier....and I don't remember what I had for dinner last night. But I do remember THAT night.

No comments: