Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The LES vs. Hurricane Irene

Hurricane Les Watching ny1 during the storm it was apparent that many residents from the Smith Projects had evacuated to Seward Park High School. Why, I thought, more than the other projects located so close to the river's edge? It was due to leadership of tenant leader Aixa Torres
A dispatch from Marion Fox:
Dear David, Just a note from your intrepid reporter about how K.V. weathered the storm and the earthquake. Someone sitting in Tanahey Park actually saw the buildings move, and in my apartment, the chain on the door was swinging back and forth, back and forth. It took me about 5 seconds to figure out what was happening. My terrace flooded during the hurricane, and since I heeded the mayor's advice and evacuated to my sister's apartment, they had to break into my apartment, because the tenant downstairs was inundated. However,after all that, we're still here. Marion
photos courtesy of Paul Levine, the Bowery Boogie and the the les blog the lodown

No comments: