Thursday, January 3, 2008

Line Em Up


Neal Hellman's dad, Sol, must have had an artistic eye. That's fairly evident by this unusual series of photos. It's also proved as his son followed that bent and is a craftsman and a musician. Neal wrote that his dad frequented the Henry Street Settlement. I added to those pics today by taking some additional photos at part of the original scene on Catherine and Cherry. I can't figure out where he took the photos of Neal's brother Billy walking the line on the side of a building. They must have been taken in the mid fifties. I got to use one of my favorite James Taylor songs as a soundtrack. I'm only off by 20 years or so :)
I remember Richard Nixon back in '74
And the final scene at the White House door
And the staff lined up to say good-bye
Tiny tear in his shifty little eye
He said nobody knows me
Nobody understands
These little people were good to me
Oh I'm gonna shake some hands

CHORUS:
Somebody line 'em up
Line 'em all up
Line 'em up
Line 'em all up
Line 'em up
Line 'em all up
Line 'em up
Line 'em all up

At that time my heart was all broke
I looked like ashes and smelled like smoke
And I turned away from my loving kind
Try to leave my body and live in my mind
But it's much too much emotion
To hold it in your hand
They've got waves out on the ocean
They're gonna wear away the land

- Chorus -

Oh I've seen corn in Kansas
And I've seen picket fences
And certain cowboy dances
I've gone lining up for shows
I've been safely placed in rows
Sure I know how it goes

Another day goes by
Little time machine
I'm breaking my brain
Over what it might mean
Just to claim the time
And to turn away
To make today today

Who waits for you
Lonely tired old toad
It's your life laid out before you
Like the broken white line down the center of the doggone road

- Chorus -

Yeah, big moon landing
People all standing up
Smiles for the loved ones
They go walking on down the aisles
Each re-engages stepping into the sun
I watch them turn like pages
One by one by one

- Chorus -

No comments: