Saturday, November 10, 2007

Marty B: December Synchroncity II: From 12/23/05

While looking at future job opportunities uptown, as the Good Fight is falling victim to TC Literacy downtown, a guy comes up to me in a principal's office and recognizes me after about a 40 year hiatus. It's the enigmatic, at least as I remember him, Marty B (we are protecting his full name due to his professional notoriety). Marty was a Knickerbocker Village neighbor, a punchball and stickball veteran of Tanahey Park, a bowling buddy at the City Hall Lanes (now J&R Music) and a little league teammate whose sister Jane gave me guitar lessons when I was about 11 or 12. Looking back on a life whose summit was unfortunately reached 11 and a half (in the upper crust of smart kids in the 6th grade at PS 177 and a top pitcher in the predominantly Italian lead Two Bridges Little League). Combine that with the prettiest babe in Knickerbocker, Nancy Bueller, as a girl friend. What the heck happened? Anyway, I tearfully told Marty when I saw him, that his father was responsible for one of my best memories. While waiting for my guitar lesson to start on a Monday or Tuesday, the quiet Mr. B said to me, "You made us all (read Jews) very proud when you beat St. Joseph's last week."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Schwartz said...

Dave came uptown to work with Marty and me. I know Dave from working at PS 94@61 where I was a classroom and then, computer teacher.
I met Marty in 2000 when I switched schools to PS 149/MS 864. I have a strong suspicion they are both blessed and it is but for people as they that the NYC school system will succeed from the ground up as well as the top down.
Dave, a multi-media expert and a guy able to capture the interest of a student body who is phased at nothing, but is impressed with him, is a gift from Judy Aronson, Superintendant of Region 10, NYCDOE. She knows what she is doing as does Joe Klein.
Expect great things in the next few years.
It won't happen overnight, this new educational revision, but it is beginning to work as our system goes through its biggest overhaul ever. And I know it is people as Marty, Dave and our dedicated teachers and administrative staff, given this new horizon vision and leadership from Bloomberg, Klein and Aronson who will accomplish this transformation.
3:43 PM

Anonymous said...

Richard Karney said...

I can't get through your blog. It is so interesting and detailed, and I, being a government worker used to only reading executive summaries, can't get into the real discussion.

Why not arrange a get together at the Big Ball Park with whomever you can raise from KV; Babbits, Nathanson, Bueller, etc., for sometime this Spring. I'd love to see you again., let alone the lovely Ms. Bueller and/or Ms. Suss or whomever you can rouse, besides me. I can get Pelly and maybe Simmons, although he doesn't answer emails.

Let me know. I have little travel scheduled until mid-June.
10:32 PM

Anonymous said...

Murray said...

Marty, David, Richard,
I remember you all.
I also grove up at Knickerbocker Villige, took guiter lessons from Jane and played baseball on the same team, (however I remember Marty playing SS and me pitching)
Would love to hear from you all again
please e-mail me at inthbg@aol.com
regards, Murray Schefflin
10:26 AM

Anonymous said...

David Bellel said...

I just recently found these comments. I love Steve, a real mensch, but I don't know what he is smoking these days. I thank him for the gracious compliment, but if the system succeeds it's not because of leadership from BloomKlein.
10:41 AM