Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Joe Darion's "Ricochet Romance"

for more on the Joe Darion KV connection for the more popular Teresa Brewer version
They warned me when you kissed me your love would ricochet Your lips would find another and your heart would go astray I thought that I could hold you with all my many charms But then one day you ricocheted to someone else's arms [Chorus:] And baby I don't want a ricochet romance, I don't want a ricochet love If you're careless with your kisses, find another turtle dove I can't live on ricochet romance, no, no not me If you're gonna ricochet, baby, I'm gonna set you free I knew the day I met you, you had a roving eye I thought that I could hold you, what a fool I was to try You promised you'd be faithful and you would never stray Then like a rifle bullet, you began to ricochet
Amazing that someone who went to CCNY in the thirties during a time of political upheaval and who was suspected of being a fellow traveler could write such lame stuff. Amazing too that is was so popular. Yet, that was the landscape of much of the 1950's

No comments: