Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kick The Can



We'll take a time out from exploring Ward 6 and come back to home base, Ward 4 as an email was received from Joe Barone in Silver Springs, Maryland. Joe's been added to the KV roll call
Periodically, I come to your blog and although I know some of the people on it (I was born in 62), I do not know all. I lived in KV from 1962 till June 1991 and in fact, my parents still live in the K Building.
Your mind map is missing a couple of things. There is no mention of St. Joseph as a school. There is also no mention of the laundry room in the basement (which I remember as early as 1967 -- when I was five).
In games, you missed Kick the Can (a version of baseball played by kicking a can). This game was played where the playground is on Cherry, Catherine Slip and Water Street. At that time, the park was a series of benches around the edge of park. Inside the bench area, at Catherine and Water was a sewer grate (home plate). First base was a lamppost. Second base was a tree. Third base was one of the concrete "frames" which held up the wooden benches (painted in Park Dept. green).
Keep up the good work.
Joseph Barone
Silver Spring MD

No comments: