Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sinatra, 1957: I Could Write A Book, Pal Joey


If they asked me, I could write a book;
About the way you walk, and whisper;
And look.
I could write a preface;
On how we met;
So the world will never forget.
And the simple;
Secret of the plot;
Is just to tell them;
That I love you, a lot.
Then the world discovers;
As my book ends;
How to make two lovers of friends.

I remember seeing this at the Loew's Canal
Pal Joey is a 1957 film, loosely adapted from the musical play of the same name; it stars Rita Hayworth (top billed), Frank Sinatra, and Kim Novak. The director is George Sidney and the choreographer is Hermes Pan. Considered by many critics as the definitive Frank Sinatra vehicle, Sinatra won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for his role as Joey Evans.
Pal Joey is also one of Frank Sinatra's few post-From Here to Eternity movies in which he did not receive top-billing, Sinatra deciding himself to allow Rita Hayworth this honor stating, with regards to being billed "between" Hayworth and Novak, "That's a sandwich I don't mind being stuck in the middle of."
Along with being a strong box office success, Pal Joey also earned four Academy Award nominations and two Golden Globe nominations.

No comments: