Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Obscure Connection Between Guss' Pickles And The Rosenbergs


In the 1930 census Julius Rosenberg was living in the same building, 128 Goerck Street (perhaps the same floor) as the Hollander family, a pickle royalty family of the lower east side. Nathan Hollander, who recently passed away, and Julius Rosenberg were the same age and probably went to school together. 128 Goerck Street was part of the famous Lavanburg Houses.
The Hollanders were mentioned on the blog previously last May
from Michael Blitz
I am very sorry to inform you that my grandfather passed away yesterday, May 18th 2009. We lost the last of the great picklemen. My great grandfather Louis Hollander started selling pickles and produce in 1903 with a horse drawn carriage. And yes it is true that Izzy Guss got his start in the business from my great grandfather. My father Bert Blitz and I were also in the pickle business for many years.

2 comments:

Connie Axelson said...

They did not live on the same floor. Nathan's sister Dorothy, my mother-in-law, told me the Rosenbergs lived upstairs from her. Dorothy went around the building trying to collect signatures for a petition to save Ethel's life.

Connie Axelson said...

They did not live on the same floor. Nathan's sister Dorothy, my mother-in-law, told me the Rosenbergs lived upstairs from her. Dorothy went around the building trying to collect signatures for a petition to save Ethel's life.