Sunday, May 18, 2008

An Interview With Hy Bueller

Out of respect for KV's, and my own special, beloved Nancy, the KV blog sat "shiva" this past week. KV life goes on, now matter how wounded it is, and her two terrific sons have promised to represent her at our third reunion next year.

I don't know what commandment I may have broken by conducting an interview during a shiva call, but I doubt it will make a dent in the deficit in my "account." Hy and my father grew up together and I don't know many people around who can tell me stories about my father as a kid. In my attempt to make him feel better I told him the story of my father's proclamation that Hy and his late brother "Jay" were the best athletes that he remembered from his LES youth. I then asked Hy if he remembered if my dad was a decent ballplayer (my recollection is that he was somewhere in the middle of the KV father's pact). Hy didn't hesitate to say, "No, he wasn't." I'll forgive Hy, under the circumstances, for bursting my bubble. There was also a story going around about the above photo that was on display at his son Bruce's house. I took the opportunity to record it for the "archives." Also captured in the background were the real life conversations that take place during these sad times.

1 comment:

Renee Bueller said...

My Beautiful Aunt Nancy,

Growing up, my entire life..Gram, gramps, Dad, Aunt Rhoda..They always use to say."mamalla.oy..how much like your aunt Nancy you are, what a Bueller!!" Your shape, your coloring, your attitude..your face..your eyes..your smile. Unfortunately as a child, I never saw what they did..until..just a short while ago. I realized, after an acquaintance viewed a recent picture of me, jonny, Rob and Aunt Nancy together, unknowingly said..."is that your mother"??, It was just then, I realized just how similar we were. We have the same features..the same favorite color..played the same instrument..were in the same field, wore the same jewelry style... I’ll miss terribly our Tuesday night dinners...our late night phone calls..her advice..the fact, that I have a problem now and I can not just call her and ask what to do.. the way she always me always feel as though I was her special someone...Selfishly, I feel I was..I was her only niece and I am proud of that!! I relish in the advice she gave me and of course will miss talking and hearing her voice...but I think if I listen hard enough..I always will hear her and what she has taught me...and between me and whoever sees this...it’s already working...I LOVE YOU BABE!!!! I miss you..Ashley Bueller……