Sunday, September 28, 2008

Oh Say Can You Sing


The mention of a PS 177 schoolboy crush on Nancy Sing from a previous KV chatter post led me on a Nancy Sing quest. The name sounded familiar to me. I might have even met her in my former life working in the New York City school system. From her pic and bio from the PS 51 website below, Ron says he's 99% sure its her. I've reached out to her and I hope she joins our ever growing family. We'd be honored to have her.
This is my sixth year as Principal of PS 51. Before that I was the Assistant Principal of PS 40. I have been in education for over 30 years. I started out as an early childhood teacher in daycare. From there, I was a special education teacher in District 75 for 8 years. After that, I taught a variety of different subjects. I have taught science, art, music, language arts on the elementary and middle school level. One of my greatest accomplishments was conducting an inter-school chorus. We sang with many other choruses from around the world at Brooklyn Academy of Music. I graduated from Baruch College with a degree in Elementary Education. After that, I went to Queens College and obtained a Master’s Degree in Environmental Education. My second Master’s was in Special Education from Hunter College. When my son was 4 years old and my twin daughters 3 years old, I enrolled in an administrative program at Bank Street School of Education. When I graduated, I became an administrative assistant and staff developer in District 1. I then moved on to become the Assistant Principal of PS 40 in District 2. In 2005 I was selected to receive a Fellowship with The Cahn Fellows Program for Distinguished NYC Principals at Teachers College, Columbia University. I also mentor Assistant Principals in the Executive Leadership Institute a professional development program the Council of Supervisors Association provides for Assistant Principals. It is a pleasure and honor to be the Principal of PS 51. We are a small school with wonderful students, parents, teachers and staff. We have incredible arts programs and tremendous community resources. I love being a Principal. I still try to get into classrooms with my guitar and have many students come to my office to read to me or share a piece of writing he/she is proud of. My three children are now in three different high schools. My son is 18 and my twin daughters are 16. My son is graduating from LaGuardia High School and entering Temple University in Philadelphia, Pa in September. My husband is a lawyer and we continue to sing in the chorus where we met 23 years ago. I am deeply committed to the students of PS 51 and strive to provide an academically, culturally and social-emotional education where students will reach their full potential.

No comments: