Friday, November 28, 2008

Neil Sedaka: The Diary


How I'd like to look
Into that little book
The one that has the locking key
And know the boy that you care for
The boy who is in your diary
When it's late at night
What is the name you write
Oh what I'd give if I could see
[ Find more Lyrics at www.mp3lyrics.org/IeJs ]
Am I the boy that you care for?
The boy who is in your diary
Do you recall
And make note of all
The little things I say and do
The name you underline
I'm hopping that's mine
Darling I'm so in love with you
Please don't leave me blue
Make all my dreams come true
You know how much you mean to me
Say I'm the boy that you care for
The boy who is in your diary.
......A similar sharing came earlier with Sedaka and singer Connie Francis. As Francis explains at her concerts, she began searching for a new hit after her 1958 single Who's Sorry Now?. She was introduced to Sedaka and Howard Greenfield, who played every ballad they had written for her. Francis began writing her diary while the two played the last of their songs. After they finished, Francis told them they wrote beautiful ballads but too intellectual for the young generation . Greenfield suggested to Sedaka a song they had written that morning for another girl group. Sedaka protested, believing Francis would be insulted, but agreed to play "Stupid Cupid". Francis told them they had just played her new hit. Francis' song reached #14 on the Billboard charts.
While Francis was writing her diary, Sedaka asked her if he could read what she had written. After she refused, Sedaka was inspired to write "The Diary", his first hit single. Sedaka and Greenfield wrote many of Connie Francis' hits such as "Fallin" and "Where the Boys Are".
Neil and Steve Sholes decided to cut "The Diary" for his first RCA single. He had written it with Howie Greenfield for Little Anthony & the Imperials. It was ment to be their follow-up to "Tears On My Pillow", but, as Neil tells it, "I used to rush home from school every day to watch Dick Clark, and one day he said, '..and now for the follow-up to 'Tears On My Pillow', and it wasn't 'The Diary'. I said, 'Oh my God, that's an omen!'". Neil saw it as an omen that he should cut it himself. After the session, he went home with an RCA record by Mickey and Sylvia, and he scratched out 'Mickey and Sylvia' to see how his name looked on RCA.
"The Diary" did well, topping out at number 14 on the American Hot 100 in 1958

No comments: