Saturday, November 29, 2008

Who's Who In Knickerbocker Village History: Carl Scarna

Hello, My name is Carl Scarna and I reside in Lakewood, NJ with my wife Lorraine Scarna and my 3 kids Carl Jr 34, Vanessa 25, and Stefano 21. I was raised in Knickerbocker Village on Monroe Street with my brother Robert Scarna and my parents Joe and Rita Scarna. My father used to be the manager for St. Joseph’s baseball team, which I played as the pitcher and won the championship with 15 wins and 1 loss. I received a trophy for the most valuable pitcher in 1960. Growing up I played all kinds of sports in the neighborhood such as football, basketball, ice hockey, softball, punch ball, stickball, and roller hockey. My friends from the village were willing to learn sign language taught by me and in return they taught me to improve my speech language so I can communicate with my hearing friends. I played in the Olympics for the deaf on the ice hockey team in Lake Placid, NY in. When I was 18 years old, Phillies, Mets, Baltimore, Yankees, and Milwaukee Braves scouts from the major league baseball called me in to try out for pitching unfortunately, the team scouts found out I was deaf and told me they didn’t need me but I asked, “Why did you call me then?” I mentioned that they did not need my ears but my right arm to play baseball. I had the skills to throw a curve ball and even a drop ball. Knickerbocker Village was my home and I completely miss it and loved every moment there. Till this day I still read the newspaper from the village and how much it has changed but that will never change my love for knickerbockers village. Also, I must emphasize I am a huge fan of the San Francisco Giants and the New York Rangers! If you recognize me please feel free to contact me and we can take a stroll down memory lane!
Sincerely, Carl

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello carl i think youre the olderbrother of robert i played stickball with him on cherry st and he and i were the homerun hitters also i think you went to the new york school of printing with a friend of mine his name is vinny deonobus i miss k.v. remember creamos and petes it became joes and the k and k and daves grocery etc take care pal and be well walt

Anonymous said...

Carl, Thank you for teaching me to sign at an early age....my sister suzan and you hung out on cherry street together with a whole gang of kids...and i picked up your signing during those times...i still remember some of the alphabet...as it helps me in my current profession...ENT surgeon....yes ...you were some athlete!!!...esp. roller hockey with Dom and Lenny(the greek).....stay well

Anonymous said...

HI Carl

Anonymous said...

HELLO BOTH H9OW ARE U ? BUT I DONT KNOW U ,, TELL ME UR FULL NAME OR U CAN E-MAIL ME MY AOL IS GOTCHA52@AOL.COM OKAY

Dennis said...

Hi, this is Carl's nephew Dennis. Carl passed away on June 30th, 2019. He will be missed by many.

David Ballela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Ballela said...


1-50 of 767

Dennis, We are saddened by your uncle's passing. Many of the readers of this blog played against your father and uncle when they played little league baseball in Coleman Oval Park. We greatly admired your grandfather as well. Paul had this comment, "His younger brother Robert was closer to my age and I played a number of sports with him. He too was a tenacious presence; really solid in all sports despite being deaf. He was overwhelming in tackle football. Played once in a while with Carl who took it easy on us kids."
Bob said this,"I had several phone conversations with Carl, Sr. who coached St. Joe’s back in the day. He really appreciated the respect we showed for Carl and Robert, along with mention in the KV blog. I also had email contact with Carl a few times and he indicated an interest in our reunions but never followed thru. RIP Carl."

LES said...

Sorry For Carl Scarnas Loss My Condolences.