Sunday, October 12, 2008

76 Suffolk Street


My home from 1948-1952. It was just across the street from 148 Delancey Street.
Our next door neighbors were Slobodan and Evelyn Joncic. We had a common fire escape and one night Slobodan came into our apartment through a window and scared the crap out of me. He was a very colorful character. He was a merchant seaman, formerly from Yugoslavia, with lots of stories. Evelyn was Italian. There are a few ship manifests with Slobodan mentioned. Here's one. You need to click to enlarge it.

It came from the ship North Haven, dated 4/10/1949. It had come to Brownsvlle, Texas from Vera Cruz. Slobodan is listed as the First Assistant Engineer. I discovered his obituary from a Boston newspaper from 2004.
Slobadan Joncic of South Boston died February 27 at The Woodview.
He was born on October 10, 1914, in Yugoslavia, the son of Syvja Joncic and Marija Joncic and was married to the late Evelyn Fiore Joncic. Mr. Joncic was a member of the Eastern Orthodox Faith, a Veteran of the US Merchant Marine Coast Guard, and a member of the American Legion. Survivors include three grandchildren, Laura Olson of Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Buster D’Armato of Halifax, and Julie Labarbera of Holtsville, N.Y.; eight great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild. A memorial service for Mr. Joncic was held February 29 at Powell Funeral Home Chapel at 7 p.m. with the Rev. Dr. Melvin Bradshaw officiating. Burial will follow at a later date in Arlington National Cemetery.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was born at the Lower East side. I could remember my mom telling me I was born in that tenement building at 76 Suffolk st. And After 50 years I'm back living at the Essex Crossing! I'm so Excited!!