Monday, October 27, 2008

There's Got To Be Somethng Better Than This


In 1964 there was a mass exodus of many KV families to the wider spaces of Brighton Beach. A better housing value was available at the Amalgamated Warbasse Houses. It was however, a far lesser value in community. I was in that neighborhood today at motor vehicle office on West 8th Street today to replace a "lost" license plate. I took some pictures.

Sarah wrote recently about a cat she brought with her to Warbasse from Knickerbocker
I adopted one of those cats. In my family, each kid got one chance at a pet bigger than a salamander or a parakeet. I named him Trouble. I have letters that my mother wrote to me in camp under his name, giving me family news. When we moved to Brooklyn, he died as a result of a 13 story fall from out kitchen window. I believe it was a suicide - he didn't like Warbasse. Too Jewish. He is buried under the boardwalk @ West 5th st/Bay 9

There's gotta be something better than this,
There's gotta be something better to do.
And when I find me something better to do,
I'm gonna get up, I'm gonna get out
I'm gonna get up, get out and do it!
There's gotta be some respectable trade,
There's gotta be something easy to learn.
And if I find me something I halfwit can learn,
I'm gonna get up, I'm gonna get out
I'm gonna get up, get out and learn it!
There's gotta be some life cleaner than this,
There's gotta be some good reason to live.
And when I find me some kind of life I can live,
I'm gonna get up, I'm gonna get out,
I'm gonna get up, get out and live it!

No comments: