Monday, November 3, 2008

LES Changes: The Disappearance Of All Traces Of The Meat Market At 41 Monroe St.


The A and S sign used to be either where the arrow points to or to where the newly installed air conditioners are. A and S probably succeeded S. Scalogna and Son

above a 1967 photo taken by Murray Schefflin of Steve Zaretsky.
A recent email
HI – I am the Granddaughter of Sam Scalogna. My uncle Ralph first worked at the butcher. When my father Paul joined the name was changed to S. Scalogna & Sons. I was raised in Brooklyn so I don’t know much about that area. I remember going to the butcher shop & seeing the big buildings called Knickerbocker Village across the street.
When my uncle Ralph passed away, my father tried to work the store alone. It was too much for him. I think it closed mid 70’s. My brother Sal used to work weekends & summers at the butcher. I am sure he has many stories about the changing area.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I read the email about S. Scalogna meat market and I would be very interested in having the contact of the person who wrote this email.
I'm a nephew of S. Scalogna from Sicily and I'm looking for my relatives in N.Y.
Can somebody help me?
Thanks,
Raf

TNT said...

hi,raf,
i AM PAUL'S DAUGHTER IF YOU NEED INFORMATION LET ME KNOW.MAYBE WE CAN TALK SOMETIME.

TNT said...

Hi rap,
I am the daughter of Paul.I am looking for family as well,maybe we can talk .thank you

TNT said...

hi raf,
i am a daughter of Paul's i am also looking for family.we are from brooklyn and our grandfather owned the meat market