Friday, November 23, 2007

Who's Who In Knickerbocker Village History: Murray Schefflin


Pat Tomasulo, in his LES remembrances, paid the greatest compliment anyone could make to a Jewish kid. I'm sure it will soften the blow to Murray in losing to Vinny Adimondo in the greatest Two Bridges' Little League pitching contest. BTW Vinny is up for a Who's Who Honor. Can someone get me a pic of him?

From Pat:
I may be biased but I still think Vinny Adamondo was the best. He tried out for the Mets as an outfielder but hurt his arm. I do remember Murray and he was one tough Jewish kid. He took no crap and would fight anybody. Somewhere on the blog other names were mentioned, Marty Ricco for one. He has since passed away. He was a year younger than me. Also mentioned were Peter Bonvisio, Richie LaGrippo and Tommy Red. Those guys went to school with my brother Joe, who I might add was a pretty good pitcher in his own right. I really loved growing up on the Lower East Side, so many memories, so many friends. I live in NJ and my sons have no idea what is was like to grow up in a neighborhood where for the most part everyone knew everyone. Till this day I am still friends with a lot of them.

Note: A follow up. When contacted Murray downplayed the recognition he received from Patsy, however one long time pal wrote in:
"Ever modest. If we loosen Murr up a bit he'll begin to tell the blood spattered stories of those who attempted to disagree or cross him without cause. Not to mention the tales of how, during his brief military service, he stood up to a horde of wild Albanians who'd been searching the army base illicitly for Jewish reservists to give heft to their homemade stew. I would echo here how and what Murr did to these poor fellows but decorum urges me to allow him do the telling. Modest as he is the true story may never reach light of day but suffice it to say that the so-called heroic tales of Rambo sound like lullabies compared to these true yarns. So be it. Only if any of you were thinking of making off with one of those fine leather bags that he markets, I would think twice and long and hard before acting on the impulse. You know what I'm saying."

No comments: